So today I tried cooking Tempeh for the first time, and let me tell you I was not disappointed!
Both Tempeh and Tofu are made from soy but the process used to make them is quite different. Tofu is made from soy milk, whilst Tempeh is made by fermenting cooked soybeans in a mold. This gives it a more cake like, firmer and more chewy form than Tofu and it is also a lot higher in protein than Tofu.
The recipe for this dish is below.
Ingredients for the Tempeh:
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp child powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tamari
- Vegetable oil for frying
- a generous amount of pepper
Ingredients for the veg:
- 2 leaves of kale, stalks cut off and chopped roughly
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- half a crown of broccoli and stalk, chopped to small florets
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 cups of frozen peas
Ingredients for the tahini dressing:
- 3 tbsp tahini
- warm water (add enough to the tahini so the consistency is more like a sauce)
- 1.5 tsp garlic granules
- generous amount of pepper
- Cut the tempeh through the length, then chop each half into 4 pieces
- Steam tempeh for 10 minutes.
- While it’s steaming, put all the ingredients for the tempeh marinade EXCEPT the tamari into a blender and blend until quite smooth.
- Pour 1/2 a cup of the marinade (blender content) into a measuring cup and add the tamari to make the marinade.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the marinade into a plate. Place the warm tempeh on the plate and pour the 1/2 the marinade over it. Rub in the marinade on top of the tempeh. Let sit for 1/2 and hour, flip the tempeh, rub in the rest of the marinade on that side. Let sit for another 1/2 hour.
- Whilst the tempeh is marinading, chop the garlic for the veg and add to a pan
- Add a glug of olive oil with the child powder and warm over a medium heat for about 1 minute
- Add the broccoli and kale and sauté until they are slightly browning
- Add the spinach to wilt, then set aside off the heat
- Add the frozen peas to a pan of boiling water and boil until cooked
- Drain, then mash the peas in the pan. Set aside
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the tahini dressing, adding as much water as you like to the right consistency
- Preheat a clean, large, heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat. Cover the bottom of the pan with vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, place all the marinated tempeh in the pan at once and cook until golden brown. Flip the tempeh (add more oil if necessary) and cook until golden brown
- To serve, add the pea mash to a bowl topped with the chili broccoli and kale. Then top with the tempeh and drizzle as much tahini dressing as you like
- I topped with some mixed seeds and the remainder of the marinade but this is optional
- Tuck in!
I hope you enjoy!