We all know Mondays are a struggle at the best of times but I like to battle my Monday mornings by eating my favourite ingredient and absolute hero superfood winner.
Oats are a fantastic way to start your day particularly as Autumn begins to set in i can think of nothing better that a hot steaming bowl of porridge for a cold, crisp morning. They are absolutely packed with nutrients your body will love and they will give you all the strength and energy you need to get you through that difficult morning. A quick google research will tell you these little pieces of goodness will lower cholesterol levels, stabilise blood sugar, help prevent heart failure and give you a slow long release of energy throughout your day.
I like to have oats in different ways throughout the week (overnight oats, porridge) but i want to share this recipe for creamy coconut porridge. This recipe is a combination of a couple of recipes I’ve tried and I’ve combined all the bits i like best. So, here it is:
- Fill 1/3 of a mug with oats and add the oats to a saucepan
- add 5og of coconut milk, a generous slug of hot water and 1 chopped banana (adding the banana at this stage i learnt from Deliciously Ella and its amazing!)
- Heat the pan and stir regularly until the oats have gone creamy and soaked up the liquids
- I like to add 1 tablespoon of Agave nectar but you can use maple syrup if you like, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Keep stirring for another minute or so until everything is combined and it looks and smells amazing
- Serve, eat and enjoy!
In the below picture i have topped with a pear and blackberry compot (blackberries handpicked by myself and my mum) which was made by washing and chopping the fruit, adding a little bit of sugar and putting it all in a saucepan on a low heat until the fruit begins to come together in juicy, fruity goodness!
I hope you like it